ReWrite the World Blog Challenge Day 8
I imagine a world in which governments are adequately funded to deliver public value
• Hospitals can treat people when they need to be treated.
• Health care systems focus on building relationships, strong communities and are an integrated system founded in social determinants of health
• Prevention programs reduce the demand for acute care.
• Public services roles such as teachers and police officers are paid in a way that reflects the benefit to society and attracts bright minds and caring professionals.
• Tax-payer funded services that we all rely on are provided in a way that we can count on, and we are proud to fund.
I recently heard about a nurse trainee who was working on a ward that was fundraising for diagnostic equipment for their own department. We put so much pressure on the systems that exist for the public good yet we abhor paying the taxes that fund them. Sure we may not always agree with how the government spends public funds, and the democratic system isn’t perfect, but without publicly funded roads, schools and hospitals our society would look very different.
If governments were adequately funded to deliver public value, then the public service could focus on providing the best and most effective care, education, utilities, policy, justice system, social safety net, infrastructure… with the objective to enable us to thrive as a society. Perhaps social evolution would be fostered by a society supported by a collaborative effort by both government and industry to deliver outstanding public value.
Can you imagine?
Leave A Comment